Friday, May 6, 2016

Cowgirls

I went to an off-broadway musical called Cowgirls.  My grandparents had extra tickets, so they gave them to us.  The production was put on at the Pioneer Theater.  I went with my dad to watch it.

I had never heard of a musical called Cowgirls before, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  I will admit that I wasn't super excited because I am not into anything country.  My dad really wanted to go with me though, so I decided I would give it a try.

We got to the Pioneer Theater, and we were on the second floor balcony area and the third row back.  It was a very good seat and I could see everything.  The theater was pretty crowded, but there were a few empty seats.




The storyline of the play was actually very interesting.  A girl named Jo is trying to save Hiram Hall, her father's saloon.  She decides she wants cowgirls to perform.  She makes a few calls, and a trio of musicians shows up.  The only problem is that they are the Coghill Trio, instead of the Cowgirl trio Jo thought she was getting.  A little miscommunication on the phone really messed things up.  The Coghill Trio is actually a classical music trio and know nothing of country.   Jo tries to kick them out, but two of them want to help.  The third, named Mary Lou, is strictly a classical musician, and refuses to attempt country.

Jo owns Hiram Hall, but she also works with Mickey and Mo.  Mickey wants to become a singer and she thinks that singing at Hiram Hall is her only chance to become famous.  Mo is a quirky, friendly girl who wants to do everything she can to help Jo save the saloon.

One of my favorite songs was Chopin to Country.  It incorporated parts of classical pieces, with some country mixed in.  I was able to identify most of the classical pieces that they played, and I knew exactly what musical competition references they were using.  My dad was laughing at me for knowing all of that, but my mom says that he later said he was proud that I could identify those things.  All of my classical music training is apparently paying off.

My favorite character was Mary Lou.  She was the character who was reluctant to change her style.  I think I like her because she actually a lot like me.  I am sometimes not really into changing things, but once I do, I actually can.  While Mary Lou didn't want to change at first, she let herself try country, and she turns out to be really good.  

What I really liked about this musical was that there was no orchestra for the music.  The actors were also very talented musicians.  They played all of their instruments right on stage.  There was violin, cello, piano, guitar, mandolin, and some percussion.  It was truly amazing.  There were only 6 people onstage, all girls, and they were so much fun to watch.

I was so glad I went to the musical.  It was such an amazing experience, and I would totally love to go see something like that again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment